Annual lice treatment is an essential strategic practice for controlling lice across Australia in many situations. Usually, you’re pushed to do this around shearing time to achieve the highest level of control.
However, Flexolt is the new oral lice treatment that gives you the flexibility to treat lice when it suits you! This product changes everything.
Given as an oral drench, Flexolt controls lice from the inside.
Flexolt can be applied throughout the year, no matter the length of wool, giving great flexibility to producers. You can choose a time that suits your property, helping manage labour challenges and environmental considerations. Whether it be at shearing time, before or after, it wouldn’t matter. Or at crutching, pre-joining or classing, the choice will be yours. (Make note if treating pregnant ewes to do it at least four weeks before lambs are born).
Flexolt can also be given to treat lice in any length of wool, meaning that effective lice control is no longer linked to shearing. It can be effectively given for unshorn lambs (from 6kg body weight), short wool, long wool, off-shears and up to 7 days off-shears.
Just be mindful that Flexolt is a knockdown product only, and it won’t give protection like Avenge and Viper pour-on products.
So how does it work…
Flexolt contains 10g/L of fluralaner, which works systemically in the animal to enter the bloodstream and target lice at the skin surface. Lice feeding at the skin layer both ingest and contact the active ingredient, delivering fast-acting lice control. Plus, as a novel class of active ingredient for sheep lice control, there is no known resistance in sheep lice populations. (It also gives you a rotation option for actives).
Flexolts key benefits:
- Lambs can be treated – to ensure a complete program for the flock once they have reached 6kg body weight.
- No more rain delays – Flexolt is unaffected by rain, so rain events don’t have to dictate treatment timing.
- Sheep can be treated without cold weather exposure issues – that are common with dipping or jetting.
- Treatment is not affected by poor shearing – which can impact external application.
- New stock coming onto the farm can be treated off the truck regardless of wool length.
- All sheep on the property can be treated at the same time, regardless of differing wool lengths.
- Our most important benefit is that if there is an outbreak, sheep can be treated as soon as incursion is noticed at the mob level.
Available now from AW Vater & Co in 5L and 20L pack sizes.
ESI – 54 Days
Wool Harvesting Interval – 0 Days.
Meat Withholding – 14 days
For more info, head to Cooper’s website.